Civil FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How much is the fee to file a pleading?
    • Click here to obtain information on the fees associated with filing documents at the District Clerk's Office.
  2. What forms of payment is accepted at the Window?
    • Cash, check, money order or credit card (Master Card, Visa and American Express are accepted. There is an additional charge for processing a credit card transaction)
  3. How long does it take to get a divorce?
    • The time frames for completion of a divorce vary by case. The shortest time frame is 61 days.
  4. How do I get service documents issued in a case and how many copies do they need?
    • The request and payment is made at the Civil Window. The fees can be located on the associated fee schedule. Click below to link to the fee schedule: Generally, one file marked copy of the document is needed not including the original. In Family cases when an order is served, two copies are needed for each service document. Note: the party being served must be listed on a service request form (link to forms)
  5. Where do I file Civil or Family pleadings?
    • All pleadings to be filed in the District Courts can be filed at the Civil Window on the 1st floor of the District Courts Building by pro-se litigents.
    • Attorneys are mandated to E-File all pleadings.
  6. Can we file County Court at Law pleadings in the District Clerk's Office?
    • No. They are two totally different offices.
  7. How do I file an Appeal?
    • If you are representing yourself, you must research that information in the Law Library or consult an attorney.
  8. What is a paternity case?
    • It is a court case to determine who the father of a child is.
  9. How can I have child support payments taken out of my paycheck?
    • A copy of the Order of Withholding, $15.00, and a letter containing the name and address of the employers payroll division along with the requestor’s name, address and phone number should be filed at the Child Support Window. The Process Department will then forward a certified copy of the Order of Withholding to the employer by certified mail.
  10. What is my case number?
    • The case or cause number is a number used to track a case. It is assigned when a case is first filed.
  11. How do I get my cash or surety Bond back?
    • You must provide the Trust Department a court order signed by the judge.
  12. Can I file case information after hours?
    • You may file after hours by e-filing. Click here for information on these types of filing options.
  13. How do I get a court order?
    • You need to see your legal representative, attorney or you can do it Pro Se (represent yourself). If you want to represent yourself you can get the necessary legal documents from the Law Library.
  14. Do I need a court order to put money in the Court Registry?
    • No, you do not need a court order to place money in the Court Registry, however written instructions must accompany any deposit.
  15. Do I need a court order to receive funds?
    • Yes, you need a court order signed by the judge authorizing the Trust Department to disburse funds.
  16. When can I close my trust account and receive my money?
    • You can submit the paperwork to close your account on your 18th birthday.
  17. What do I need to close my trust account?
    • You must provide a Motion and Order from the Judge to close your account. A copy of your birth certificate and valid picture identification is also required. Any one of the following
  18. How do I file an answer when I have been served with a citation?
    • The District Clerk does not have a form for filing an answer and cannot assist you on how to file an answer or calculate your answer date. This would be considered to be giving legal advice and we are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. Please consult an attorney for any assistance.
  19. How do I get a case set or get information on a court hearing?
    • To set your case for a hearing or to appear on the uncontested docket or to check on a setting, you must call the District Court Coordinator's Office. The phone number is (254) 933-5246.
  20. What do I do about the taxes when a delinquent tax suit has been filed against me?
    • Contact the Tax Appraisal District regarding the amount of taxes owed or for information on payment of taxes. Since a tax suit has been filed, court cost will also be due in addition to the taxes. Contact the District Clerk's Office for the amount of court cost and payment information.