Juror Exemptions

The Court cannot excuse you by phone.

If you are claiming a disqualification or exemption you may mail your form to Joanna Staton, Bell County District Clerk, P.O. Box 909, Belton, TX 76513  or take the form to the District Clerk's office located on the first floor of the Bell County Justice Center at 2101 Huey Rd in Belton.


You may choose to request to be excused from Jury service if:

  • you are 70 years of age or older
  • you have legal custody of a child or children younger than 12 years of age and service on the jury would require leaving the child or children without adequate supervision
  • you are a student at a public or private high school
  • you are enrolled in and attend college
  • you are an officer or an employee of the senate, the house of representative, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of state  government
  • you are the primary caretaker of a person is unable to care for himself or herself (This exemption does not apply to health care workers.)
  • you are a member of the United States military forces serving on active duty and deployed to a location away from your home station and out of your county of residence
  • you have served as a juror in this county during the 24-month period prior to the date you are required to appear listed on your summons.

Q: How do I claim an exemption from jury service?

A: If you are eligable to claim one of the listed exemptions, you will need to mark the box next to the exemption that you wish to claim on the back of your Juror Questionnaire card, sign your name at the bottom and return your card in person in the District Clerk's office or by mail in an envelope to the address listed below.

Joanna Staton

District Clerk
P.O. Box 909
Belton, TX 76513

Q:How do I claim a medical exemption?

A: If you wish to request a temporary or permanent exemption due to a physical or mental impairment, you will need to submit to the Bell County District Clerks office a physician's statement signed by your physician, a Petition for Name Removal (located in the link below) and your Juror Questionnaire card.

(Medical Only) - Petition For Name Removal


Q: I am over 70 years of age, how do I request a permanent name removal ?

A: If you you are over 70 years of age and would like to request that your name be permanently removed from the jury list, please download and submit the Over 70 Petition for Name Removal (located in the link below) and submit it to the Bell County Distrcit Clerks office along with your Juror Questionnaire card.

(Over 70 Years) - Petition for Name Removal